PLANTS THAT ARE HARMFUL TO PETS

PLANTS THAT ARE HARMFUL TO PETS

Kim Irwin


Plant obsession is a real deal. To some of us, plants are pets too.





Although our green babies create a wonderful ambience, our fur babies may be at risk.





In the interest of safety, we recommend avoiding the following toxic plants in your gardens and homes.





DELICIOUS MONSTERS & ELEPHANT EARS





Listen closely and forget not, these monsters may sound delish but be warned. Elephant Ears and Delicious Monsters are, in fact, toxic. They contain calcium oxalate crystals which, when chewed, become embedded in the mucous membranes of your pet’s mouth and tongue. Symptoms include severe pain and irritation, difficulty swallowing, excessive drooling, and vomiting.





LILIES





Don’t be fooled by their elegance, these ladies pack quite the lethal punch. Absolutely all parts of the plant can be dangerous - even a sip of the water from the lily vase could lead to kidney injury.  Signs may be seen immediately, and they include drooling, foaming at the mouth, vomiting and diarrhoea, and pawing at the face from the pain. Take note that the effects are much more severe in cats than dogs.





SAGO PALM & CYCADS





Sago Palm (no, not Sago Pudding) and Cycads contain several toxic compounds that can cause gastrointestinal upset and affect the nervous system. The entire plant is toxic, including the seeds and fronds. Signs of poisoning to look out for include vomiting and diarrhoea (with or without blood), and lethargy. Neurological signs such as wobbliness and seizures can follow.





CORN PLANT





Also, not as edible as it sounds. If ingested it can cause difficulty breathing and an increased heart rate. Other symptoms include vomiting and appetite loss.





SYRINGA BERRY TREE





Also known as Chinaberry, these berries contain highly poisonous meliatoxins that can cause severe gastric irritation and respiratory failure. Watch out for excessive salivating, restlessness, muscle trembling, respiratory distress, vomiting, diarrhoea, and seizures. We say, stick to strawberries as a safe yet sweet and satisfying snack. (Not-so-fun fact: the berries are also highly toxic to children.)





CHINCHERINCHEE





Ornithogalum Thyroides (Chincherinchee) contain deadly alkaloids and cardenolides that sometimes result in death. Salivation, vomiting, diarrhoea, shortness of breath, swelling of lips and tongue, and skin irritation can occur.





OLEANDER





Oleander is an extremely lethal shrub. A single leaf has the power to kill an adult. That, folks, says it all. Look out for drooling, vomiting, drowsiness, dilated pupils, lack of coordination, leathery, abnormal heart rate, and collapse.





A Quick Tip: 





Keep Activated Charcoal around the house in case of an emergency. It binds with cells and molecules to aid the expulsion of toxins.





Do make haste to your nearest Vetworld if you suspect your pet has ingested a harmful plant.






https://www.vet-world.co.za/