Top 5 Most Toxic Foods For Dogs (Avoid These!)

Top 5 Most Toxic Foods For Dogs (Avoid These!)


We all love to give our dogs human food. Seeing something new and unique in their bowls gets them incredibly excited for dinner time. You need to avoid some foods at all costs though — many pet owners are not aware of how dangerous some of the most basic food items lying around the house could be to their furry friends.

We know about some of the more obvious ones like chocolate, caffeine, and alcohol, but what about those that you’re not sure of? Those random, seemingly innocent food items such as bananas (which are high in sugar) could become toxic if given to dogs without moderation.


This might sound like an obvious one, but we’re still seeing a ton of people giving their dogs bones — especially larger dogs. Bones are not only dangerous because they are a choking hazard, but they are also dangerous even if they are chewed. Many bones, especially chicken and lamb bones tend to splinter which can cause internal damage in the long run, so you may not even notice it at first.

Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and raisins are great snacks for summer, but you should not give these to your dogs. They might be great for us, but if a dog gets hold of one of these tiny fruits it can cause vomiting, lethargy, and even kidney failure.

Fruit Seeds

Vegetables and fruit can be incredibly healthy for dogs, packed with vitamins and all kinds of healthy nutrients. However, many of these healthy snack options — such as watermelon for example — have seeds in them. These seeds can obstruct a dog’s digestive tract. Some of these seeds (such as apples, peaches, and plums) even contain cyanide, which is poisonous to both dogs and humans.


Avocado is a superfood that is great for humans. However, the fruit itself, as well as the leaves, skins, and the pit of an avocado contain a fungicidal toxin called persin. This toxin is harmless to humans, but it can be extremely dangerous to animals such as horses, birds, and dogs.


Whether you love them or hate them, onions (and garlic) are a key ingredient in many dishes. However, if you’re cooking with them you need to be careful when your four-legged friends are around. Onions contain a substance that can destroy a dog’s red blood cells, leading to anemia. Your dog could experience weakness, pale gums, disinterest in food, dullness, and breathlessness if they consume onion or garlic in any form (raw, powdered, or even cooked).